Redmond, WA | 425-208-5130 | firstname.lastname@example.org | www.linkedin.com/in/michaelheavener
15 years of experience being the link between communications teams and IT, helping them work together to reach targeted audiences using digital technology and business practices.
· Managing business portals, SharePoint sites and content management systems.
· Migrating intranet/internet web sites and content from one platform to another.
· Planning content around communication initiatives integral to large matrixed organizations.
· Planning and managing large/complex online projects.
· Developing timelines, calendars, schedules and workflow.
· Planning and implementing dynamic user experiences, interfaces, navigation and responsive design for mobile devices, computer screens and media.
· Creating HTML/CSS that defines style and guidelines and promotes consistency.
· Analyzing performance, usage and keyword metrics; search engine optimization.
· Creating, editing and deploying content for technical/non-technical audiences.
· Providing strategic counsel to managers; troubleshooting, developing instructions and training users.
· Collaborating with stakeholders, teams and business partners across departments and organizations.
Web Computing Specialist, University of Washington, School of Social Work, The Alliance for Child Welfare Excellence, Seattle, WA 5/2016 – 11/2016
Manage website and content management systems (Drupal and SharePoint) for statewide competency-based caregiver training and social worker certification. Manage supervise outside development vendors for website and database redesign projects. Manage migration to SharePoint 365.
Web Development Site Manager, Microsoft, Worldwide Communities, Redmond, WA 12/2015 –5/2016
Manage SharePoint portal for internal marketing and external sales. Work with content providers and SMEs, site developers (local and offshore), and user experience developers. Assignment includes improving projects, processes and delivery, and providing technical depth for wide variety of onboarding and training.
Web Operations Specialist, University of Washington Medical Center, Digital Operations, Seattle, WA 9/2015 – 11/2015
Redesign pages to be responsive for smartphones, and mobile and small screen devices. Manage intake and tracking processes and programs.
Digital Content Management and Communications Integration 7/2010 – present
Consult with clients on website development, content management, business analysis and digital communications strategies. Projects:
· AT&T, Bothell, WA
Managed development and delivery of consumer focused ecommerce and online marketing content using Adobe Enterprise Manager/CQ and JIRA.
· Sound Generations (formerly, Senior Services), Seattle, WA
Designed, developed and implemented new intranet using SharePoint 365. Trained IT staff and managers.
· Starbucks, Seattle, WA
Provided direction for migration to SharePoint 2013. Collaborated with communicators and developers in an Agile environment to define business rules and governance policies for content, retention, accessibility, delivery, speed, search, taxonomy/metadata and future growth.
· Microsoft, Xbox One, Redmond WA
Coordinated content operations and developed improvements for SharePoint portal with dynamic content management and navigation. Edited technical documentation for non-technical and technical audiences.
· Nike, Beaverton, OR
Designed and managed enhancements to SharePoint for key communications programs. Created project plans and functional specs for migration to newer content management infrastructure.
· Microsoft, Procurement Services, Redmond, WA
Taught senior managers how to manage end-to-end publishing in SharePoint and internal distribution tools.
· Puget Sound Energy, Seattle, WA
Managed full life cycle of development and operations from requirements through launch for internet site. Defined and developed content/document structure.
· Quango Design, Portland, OR
Collaborated with developers on design and consolidation of two large client-facing intranet sites into SharePoint. Coordinated design/development of hierarchical navigation.
· YMCA, Seattle, WA
Planned conversion from paper-based information intake to tablet input and retrieval system.
· University of Washington Medical Center - through Wimmer Solutions, Seattle, WA
Researched and analyzed business requirements to build a SharePoint site for the Radiology Department.
· The Everett Clinic, Everett, WA
Recommended ways to design, streamline and optimize content assets, linked content management systems and intranets, for hospital staff and health care professionals.
· MCG, Seattle, WA (company provides evidence based care guidance)
Managed content development, features, navigation and structure for new SharePoint intranet and website.
Web Producer & Marketing Manager, Microsoft, HR Communications, Redmond, WA 2/2009 – 7/2010
Managed development of external websites and intranet portals. Served as project manager for web-related production/enhancement projects in SharePoint and XML-based CMS systems. Positioned sites as dependable and unique information resources for business leaders to accurately translate marketing plans into internal campaigns.
· Managed migration of online resource center from SharePoint 2007 to 2010 in 34 languages.
· Worked with site managers, business leaders, programmers, production staff/vendors for website rollouts.
· Assisted with strategic planning of user experiences, messaging, content tone and style, marketing campaigns, interactive training, multimedia, audio, video, blogs and social media.
· Created, wrote and edited content for websites, interactive learning systems and multimedia.
Web Content Editor/Producer, MultiCare Health System, Tacoma, WA 9/2008 – 11/2008
Simplified intranet website for five hospitals and 51 clinics linking hospital staff and health care professionals.
· Worked closely with staff, management and subject matter experts to optimize content changes.
· Analyzed content and created SEO plans.
Web Producer, Partner Communications, Microsoft, SMS&P, Redmond, WA 8/2006 – 8/2008
Created web content strategy. Wrote content for sales training. Managed development and communications programs for rollout of new internal SharePoint portal. Ensured delivery of consistent, positive user experiences for diverse audiences and stakeholders. Approved content and managed site.
· Worked with organizations to help them understand business models, goals and key performance indicators.
· Planned, coordinated, wrote, edited and scheduled site's textual, graphics and multimedia content.
· Designed, developed and deployed sales training systems with user centric design/content standards.
· Planned, implemented and analyzed usability testing.
· Used web analytics software and processes to create custom usage, metadata, taxonomy and access statistics and reports.
· Developed streaming media, online video and online multimedia applications and tools.
· Created HTML/CSS templates and wrote documentation for ongoing development and maintenance.
· Set up new site collections/sites (libraries, lists, web parts, views) in beta version of SharePoint 2007 (MOSS); migrated sites/collections/functions into full RTM version.
Marketing Communications Program Manager, UIEvolution, Bellevue, WA 7/2005 – 7/2006
Managed and produced internal/external communications programs supporting client and business development activities and training for wireless/telecommunications company. Supervised vendors’ workflow and deliverables.
· Coordinated communications planning, community relations efforts, presentations and marketing initiatives.
· Wrote and developed web content, email and executive messages, presentations, printed sales materials and point of contact videos, industry magazine articles and public relations.
Content/Tools: MS Office: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Access, Project, Visio, OneNote, Office 365, Open Office
Graphics/Design: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
Other: CMS/content management systems: metrics; social media; search optimization; video and streaming content; webinars: GoToWebinar, AnyMeeting Join.me; Lync; email marketing: MailChimp, Constant Contact; Style Guides: AP Style Book, Chicago Style Guide; MSTP; ticketing and tracking systems; and Agile/project management methodologies
Deploying documents, graphics, photos, web forms, surveys, email campaigns, presentations, videos, multimedia, social media and blogs.
Master of Arts, Business/Organizational Management, University of Phoenix, Renton, WA
Bachelor of Arts, Communications/Journalism, Eastern Washington University, Cheney, WA
Additional courses: Agile/scrum, HTML5, team leadership, content management systems, technical writing for non-technical audiences, instructional design and training, presenting to managers, diversity/accessibility
Accredited Business Communicator (ABC); Member, IABC 2/2004 – Present
10+ years of experience developing communications strategies and online branding/positioning initiatives for tax exempt organizations and community service groups; counseling boards of directors, advisory groups and professional development leaders. Completed projects for: YMCA, Redmond Association of Spokenword, Redmond Regional Library, Redmond Community Forum, City of Redmond, Redmond United Methodist Church, International Association of Business Communicators-Seattle Chapter, Gold Wing Touring Association; Friends of the Redmond Library; Northwest Folklife Festival, Eastside Open Mic, North Helpline, Hoedown for Hunger; Redmond Open Kitchen, Rainier South Sound Vintage Thunderbird Club.
Webmaster, Redmond Association of Spokenword (nonprofit), Redmond, WA 2005 – Present
Manage website content, design and user experience. Edit contributions and modify or create graphics to meet space and size requirements. Recruit presenters for live events reflecting memberships’ topics of interest; manage program and organizational communications calendars; manage social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn).
International Association of Business Communicators (IABC); SharePoint Users Groups (Puget Sound SPUG; Portland SPUG); Association for Talent Development (ATD, formerly ASTD); Society for Technical Communication (STC); Special Interest Group on Computer-Human Interaction (PSSIGCHI); Association for Information and Image Management (AIIM); Audio Engineering Society (AES)
Chairman of Advisory Board for Certified Office Professional/Computer Applications Programs, Renton Technical College, 10/2011 – 10/2013; board member since 2008